At our Italian Dessert & Wine Pairing, we paired Lemon Gelato with our 2020 Chardonnay!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 lemons)
- 3 Extra Lemons for the “lemon bowls”
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon zest. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove immediately from heat; stir in lemon juice and cream. Place in a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate several hours or overnight. In the meantime, cut whole lemons in half, scoop out the middles of the lemons until only the pith remains. Cut a small amount off the bottom of the lemon so it will stand upright. Pop shells into the freezer.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream maker two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- When ready to serve take a frozen lemon shell, and scoop gelato into the frozen lemon shell. Garnish with a thin cookie or sprig of mint! Buon appetito!
Don’t have an ice cream maker? Get your favorite tub of Vanilla gelato or ice cream, pop it into a stand mixer and add the zest of 4 lemons, the juice of 2 lemons, and an optional splash of limoncello! Whip it up until it’s fluffy and put into a plastic container in the freezer for 6 hours to re-freeze!