This slightly sweet and fruity dessert is a perfect pairing for our first ever Late Harvest Aglianico Riserva. A recipe that is truly a match made in heaven!
Cherry Almond Ricotta Cake
Recommended Wine: 2018 Aglianico Late Harvest Riserva
by Chef Ashley Ullrich
- Non-stick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup pitted and sliced cherries, divided
- Sliced almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch cake pan with spray, line with parchment paper, and then spray parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add eggs, ricotta, almond extract. and lemon zest. Mix at low to medium speed (or whisk by hand) until smooth.
- Mix in dry ingredients until just blended. Do not overmix!
- Add butter and then gently add 3/4 cup cherries, blend just until mixed.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and then scatter the top with the remaining 1/4 cup cherries and almond slices.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through and a tester comes out clean, about 50-55 minutes.
- Let cook on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before removing from the cake pan. Dust with powdered sugar once it has cooled, or right before serving!