Michigan residents and wine club members Becky and Ed Ploeg share a New Year’s Day tradition that includes Due Vigne’s award-winning Cabernet:
OUR VERY FAVORITE CABERNET MEAL IS STEAKS ON THE GRILL WITH GRILLED ASPARAGUS, AND NO MATtER HOW HIGH THE SNOW IS PILED UP ON THE DECK, WE CLEAR A PATH TO THE GRILL AND OPEN A BOTTLE OF DUE VIGNE CABERNET. EVERYONE HAS THEIR FAVORITE WAY TO PREP A STEAK, BUT HERE IS HOW WE DO THE ASPARAGUS AS WELL AS A ROSEMARY SHALLOT BUTTER THAT IS GREAT ON THE STEAKS!
Steaks on the Grill with Grilled Asparagus
Recommended Wine: A Due Vigne Cabernet
Recipe by: Becky & Ed Ploeg
- Fresh asparagus, trimmed and rinsed
- Olive oil
- Montreal steak seasoning
- Minced garlic
- Place trimmed and rinsed asparagus on a plate or in a Ziploc bag.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle steak seasoning liberally.
- Add salt and garlic to taste, toss together and grill until tender-crisp and bright green.
If cooking inside, place on foil lined baking sheet and roast in 400 degree oven for 8-12 minutes. (You can do the exact same thing with fresh green beans, very good too.)
Rosemary Shallot Butter
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 small shallots, finely chopped (less or more to taste)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt & pepper
- Combine ingredients and mix well.
- Roll into a small log in parchment or waxed paper.
- Refrigerate for up to a week, or you can freeze it up to 2 months.
- When you are ready to use, slice off a round and let it melt on a nice hot juicy steak.